Gaslands – Cobra Daytona

In the interest of making sweet rusty post-apocalyptic death machines, I decided to pick up and try one of Vallejo’s pigments. Snagged brown oxide to start and just used it as a final coat on my Cobra Daytona, having used various reds and browns first and feeling like it just wasn’t crusty enough. The Cobra got primed and painted purple before I started with the rust effects, although it was probably not super necessary, given how much rust and dirt I put onto it.

This car was among my first real modifications. I’d already done a bunch of Gaslands cars (see my previous post) but most of those just involved gluing stuff to the exterior. For this one I drilled the rivets out so that I could get everything apart. I cut the passenger seat out of the interior and mounted the gun to the roof, and I used bolt cutters to trim the rear wheel wells, making them big enough to tuck the wheels from a Space Marine bike into them. The wheels got drilled a little off center so I could pin them into place without worrying about increasing the rear of the chassis to move the whole axle.
The ‘windscreen’ is a piece of a ladder, the wheel spikes are old skaven shield decorations, and the rest is mostly a hodge-podge of ork and imperial bits. My favourite is probably the tabard turned into driver’s side window shielding, but I haven’t had any luck finding more similar bits so far.

I cleaned up all the mold lines (probably could have done that pre-photo, but meh), and settled into the painting process. My favourite brush-on primer (take that, old man winter!), and then the car got a purple basecoat, with Vallejo Oily Steel on the ‘metal’ parts. A heavy wash of Citadel Reikland Fleshshade to give it its first rusty tinge, and then a few shades of deep dirty red (Vallejo Burnt Cadmium was the main one here). I painted up the interior while I had everything open, as I planned to enter this into the local shop’s Modern/SciFi miniature painting contest and wanted to cover all the little details just in case. I was feeling pretty good about it at this point, and was ready to get [c]rusty!

I just had the one pigment for this car, but got pretty liberal with it, leaving it pretty thick and dabbing it roughly into place with an old brush that will probably serve this purpose to the end of its days now. Finally, I added some dirt in the form of some inherited Citadel Agrellan Earth (?) technical paint.

I particularly like that armour plating on the passenger side.

Next I needed something to use as a base. Gaslands doesn’t require bases, but the aforementioned painting contest has basing points, so I put some cracked highway together. I broke up a piece of corkboard and glued it to a plastic sheet, then glued some sand into the gaps and painted it brown. The cork got a grey plus drybrush and my quick and dirty asphalt was practically complete. Thinking I’ll do up some bigger chunks to use as actual terrain, perhaps with the plastic extending out further so I can make a bevelled dirt zone on each side…

And voila! The Cobra Daytona is ready to rock the Gaslands!

I definitely liked working with the pigment, and have since purchased an additional one. Looking at these zoomed pictures I feel like my transitions could use some work, but I think part of that is just having the one pigment to work with. We’ll see what happens next time…


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s