Tagged: firebird

Gaslands – Hot Wheels ’69 Pontiac Firebird T/A WIP 2

Seriously, I don’t know why I paint these when I’m planning to weather them.

When last we visited the Firebird, she was mostly built, sanded, and primed.

I went with a bright orange for the body, and added a couple of primered doors. Bright red for the fuel barrels (all of which will become increasingly subtle as I continue).

At this point, the car was pretty much complete, if a little too bright and shiny for my team.

Let the weathering begin! A heavy wash with Reikland Fleshshade and some bullet holes in the windshield (pin vise plus some scratches with a blade for the surrounding cracks), and we’re on our way. Really, I could probably leave stuff at this point but the team I’ve built this far is *very* heavily rusted out, so I’m gonna keep going.

And there we go. Some Vallejo Burnt Cadmium followed by a pair of weathering powders, plus some Agrellan Earth for dust and dirt. That primered for is almost invisible now, even if you’re looking squarely at it.

The bullet holes are a little less clear on this one than the corvette’s were, but they’ll do. I did notice at this point that some rust had crept onto the glass, but it scraped away pretty well after this shot was taken.

So, there we go! I have mixed feelings about this one. I like everything I did to it, but it sorta feels like I spent a lot of time doing nothing. I mean, the barrels have no game effect, I didn’t add a ram or weapons of any type… This is literally just a baseline car that I spent a bunch of time on, haha.

I like it anyway, and I suppose it will make a good car for campaigns. I can use it for the baseline model, and then swap it for something with weapons after I’ve earned some cans…

Or just try it as a baseline car? Might be a good opportunity to see just how helpful upgrades really are (or aren’t)?

Advertisements

Gaslands – Hot Wheels ’69 Pontiac Firebird T/A WIP 1

Another Gaslands project of course begins with another stock internet photo, because I once again got so excited to start chopping it up that I forgot to snap a photo beforehand.

I got a bunch of new bits courtesy of Curtis at Ramshackle Games, including some of his new barrels and gas cans and such. My immediate desire was to drop them into an open trunk, Interceptor – style, but I couldn’t find anything that would lend itself to such a modification (I have neither a Dremel nor a proper jeweler’s saw, so I’m limited to straight cuts at the moment).

Lacking an easily removable trunk, I opted for the next best thing; I am very into chopping the tops off these things lately.

I went with this Firebird because I could actually work around the trunk entirely and drop my extra fuel tanks into the backseat. You know, once I was rid of the backseat…

Again, just a combination of straight cuts with the razor saw. I actually built a box out of tread plate for this one but it was probably a pretty big waste of my time. By the time I’d incorporated some fuel lines into the design and tucked the barrels in, the box is pretty invisible. You’ll see.

This being one of those hot wheels with an entire extra piece in the middle (and holding the wheels on place) meant getting a little more creative. Note I opted to keep the original wheels on this one. I love me some off road tires, but these just really seemed to suit the car so I kept them.

I actually did some sanding of the body this time. I was planning to repaint (no interest in keeping it emblazoned with Hot Wheels banners) and in the past I’ve noticed you can sometimes see the shape of the decals through a coat or two of paint (my Frazetta fantasy van has faint fireball outlines if you look closely). Those are the barrels I’ll be converting into spare tanks; I think the scale is pretty good on those.

Barrels/tanks are in place along with fuel lines (the same wire I use for pinning, but with the insulation left on), and I’ve bent and trimmed a Stan Johansen gunner into a more driver-y shape. Plus he’s got a pin in his butt, just so he doesn’t end up glued merely to some paint over fake chrome (I don’t want him snapping off later).

And here we go. The body’s riding a little high because I haven’t snapped it down into place, the windshield hasn’t been put back in yet, and the driver is drying elsewhere. This is a pretty decent indication of where I’m headed, though. ‘Til next time.