Tagged: Gripping Beast

Saga: I painted an army!

Yes, with the second Bondi unit that I posted a couple weeks ago, I finished painting a full army. Not something I can say very often. Let’s take another look at those final 8 warriors:

What follows is pretty much going to be a bunch of photos, because I’m feeling pretty good about these guys. Sharing time!

A fieldable 4-pt army!

Berserkers, the Warlord, and a unit of Bondi (Warriors)

Hirdmen (Hearthguard), and a second unit of Bondi

My Warlord… I suppose he’s going to need a name

The first Saga model I painted; this guy does not care at all

Definitely the chunkiest I ever got the gore

I feel like this guy’s got some tricky moves… Watch the feet!

The whole gang again, a little closer knit.

This fellow had a bit of flash or something through his eye, so I tried to turn it into a scar. Results aren’t bad.

I think this might be the only guy protecting his eyes, haha. His posture is a lot more defensive, too. Not that it’s a bad idea or anything, but most of this group looks less than concerned for their personal safety.

And there we go. Thanks for checking them out. I am in fact working on those Gall Gaedhil I mentioned last time, but I interrupted that painting task with some shieldmaiden assembly.

Gall Gaedhil in progress…

My shieldmaidens have spears, because I really liked the dynamic poses…

So lots more Saga still coming. I picked up Njal, too. Also, Dave’s Normans arrived, so once he’s got them assembled and on bases, I’m actually going to get to play!

Advertisements

Saga – Viking Bondi unit 2

Tonight I put the finishing touches on my last 8 Viking Bondi (warriors). That’s right, I am now the proud owner of a fully painted 4 points of Saga. I’ll have to get a group photo at some point.

When we left off, I’d put in a couple evenings of paint, and the Bondi were looking like this:

Day 4: more paint, plus some dirt on the ground!

Day 5: finished up any still unpainted spots, but mostly a bunch of shades and washes. I don’t think I snapped a picture of that.

Day 6: some detail work (including shieldwork), and some light drybrushing to give the hair, fur, and dirt some depth.

They’re starting to really look like something at this point.

Although they can’t look at anything themselves. No eyes just yet.

Day 7: Day the last! Eyes and blood! Here’s a few of them before and after the finishing touches:

And one final group shot:

Up next: the Gal Gaedhil (Sons of Death)?

Saga – Viking Bondi unit 2 WIP I

K, this is it! I’m only 8 miniatures away from having a fully painted 4 point Saga warband, so I’m painting all 8 at the same time.

Day 1: Prime the last few that were still bare metal…

Day 2: Some blues, some greens, some browns. Moving right along…

Day 3: A few different skin tones and wood colours, and most of the clothing complete.

Until next time!

SAGA – Viking Hirdman

February brought me my new Saga books along with some viking dice, wire spears, and a couple of new units. The wire spears meant I finally finished assembling all of my previous units (I’d been holding out, avoiding those soft metal spears they came with).

All of this also got me jazzed to paint something for the local shop’s historical miniature painting contest, so I picked out a hearthguard that was already prepped and primed and got cracking.

You’ll notice I’m also using my citadel painting handle for the first time. I picked it up a little while ago, but I’ve only painted cars for gaslands since then so this was my first real opportunity to try it out; colour me impressed. Even using the non – beveled Renedra base, it kept a good grip throughout the project.

Flat Earth for the ground, Red Leather for the helmet, Golden Yellow for the hair/beard, and a Game Colour orange for the tunic. It was a very bright orange (I think I’ve previously just used it for Escher gangers), and I had doubts right up until the final clear coat.

The pants are a Heavy Opaque Blue (I love the coverage the heavy Game Colours provide) and mostly Gory Red on the shield.

Oily steel for the metals, and I mixed some of my Red Ochre pigment into my gore to get it a bit chunkier and I liked the results; I’ll definitely do that again.

And that’s my first Viking Hirdman, all painted up and waiting for me to paint up some fitting compatriots.

SAGA – Building my Vikings

Spent a couple evenings just cleaning and assembling Vikings (plus a couple random Hasslefree minis).

Started just thinking I’d get a couple prepped for future Historical-themed painting contests, then got into the swing of it and did a bunch. Even then I was still planning to leave the spear wielders until later (I’m going to be ordering some wire spears as soon as Gripping Beast have their Viking dice back in stock), but just kept going.

‘Twas a strange mood for me, but I figured I’d take advantage while I was feeling it.

I’ll have to post the whole lot of them at some point, but this’ll have to do for now…